Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thursday 6/13....it's alive
This daily thread is technically, only valid for people in the CST time zone and all the time zones west of CST.
id hate to miss a day. suck if you live on the east coast. they will have to wait until tomorrow
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Derick Wrote:id hate to miss a day. suck if you live on the east coast. they will have to wait until tomorrow

Yeah. I feel a lot better now that a daily thread was started. Even if its this late. It might be some weird OCD thing or something. I like my daily routines. I need my DBN.
Derick Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:
Derick Wrote:I think we need to look at backup batteries. Yup yup

I'm very willing to set aside some money for this cause.
I wish very much that jow would actually put a parts list up instead of just saying "new server"

This is the equivalent of the unit that blew up yesterday, but mine had an additional unit attached to it to double the time it stays up.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/37...XL-1000VA/

We have new policies at work that don't allow us to take hardware from customers anymore. That's where most of my stuff came from.

I picked up 18 servers a few weeks ago from a client that were worth roughly 40K used and I wasn't allowed to take any of them. They were out of warranty so we can't sell them or use them in production so they'll just sit around.

I'm thinking about uploading the site to a hosting company so I don't have to worry about it. I'll lose a lot of my management on the site, but I'm not doing anything new on it that would require direct file access to anything right now.
Fuck.. Today is Friday
Joe Wrote:We have new policies at work that don't allow us to take hardware from customers anymore. That's where most of my stuff came from.

I picked up 18 servers a few weeks ago from a client that were worth roughly 40K used and I wasn't allowed to take any of them. They were out of warranty so we can't sell them or use them in production so they'll just sit around.

I'm thinking about uploading the site to a hosting company so I don't have to worry about it. I'll lose a lot of my management on the site, but I'm not doing anything new on it that would require direct file access to anything right now.

That still doesnt help solve the problem. make a thread, post up what is needed.

I dont like the idea of a 3rd party hosting. I dont know why, I just feel better that its all in house (your house)
Derick Wrote:
Joe Wrote:We have new policies at work that don't allow us to take hardware from customers anymore. That's where most of my stuff came from.

That still doesnt help solve the problem. make a thread, post up what is needed.

I dont like the idea of a 3rd party hosting. I dont know why, I just feel better that its all in house (your house)

It still comes down to the server. Right now it's a home built server running on an Intel Server motherboard. If it were a Dell or HP I'd be able to replace parts as needed and would be able to list what was needed. At this point with the server just powering off by itself there's no other option that to replace it. It could be motherboard or power supply. My downstairs at home is gutted and being rebuilt so I don't have time to look into it and then search the net for old hardware that no one sells. My hope is that I can talk work into letting a server go or I can find a sweet deal on Craigslist for something like a Dell 1950 III or 2950 III.
Joe Wrote:
Derick Wrote:

It still comes down to the server. Right now it's a home built server running on an Intel Server motherboard. If it were a Dell or HP I'd be able to replace parts as needed and would be able to list what was needed. At this point with the server just powering off by itself there's no other option that to replace it. It could be motherboard or power supply. My downstairs at home is gutted and being rebuilt so I don't have time to look into it and then search the net for old hardware that no one sells. My hope is that I can talk work into letting a server go or I can find a sweet deal on Craigslist for something like a Dell 1950 III or 2950 III.
when you find a spare moment....

LIST WHAT KIND OF SERVER OR PARTS OR WHATEVER, NEW OR USED, SO WE CAN SEARCH. IF ITS A NEW SERVER, WE STILL NEED TO KNOW A PART NUMBER/MODEL NUMBER/CUP SIZE

kthxbai
[Image: 31GaIvKiVmL.jpg]
I have been looking for the following.

A Dell PowerEdge 2950 Generation III or a Dell 1950 Generation III. You can get these things cheap, but hard drives and memory are expensive as shit. To virtualize the servers I'm looking for a 16GB of RAM.

Servers use a ton of power so I need to be able to run my test server and DBN web server on one physical server which is why I have been holding out. I can run the web server on 4GB of RAM and under 100 GB of space, but to be able to combine my home\test server with the web server I need the 16 GB of RAM and like 500 GB of space.

The HP equivalent would probably be a Proliant DL380 G5
PowerEdge 1950 III

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Nobody understands what the fuck you just said. Can't you just post a list?
Is it just raw ram? And normal hd. What the fuck are we even looking for.
So the server thingy is about 500. 16gb ram is like 200. A TB hd is cheap as hell. Obviously we're looking at different shit.
Like this

http://www.longshottech.com/dell-rack-se...ver-6.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thursday 02/23/17: Party Chip 6 1,017 07-17-2021, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Nortoncomsetup
  9-9-10 Thursday...I'm very tired today. Iva13 410 1,465 04-09-2020, 05:18 AM
Last Post: isoexpert
  Thursday, November 7th 2019 - Big Day (Again) Joe 14 33 11-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Last Post: NussieT
  thursday Jan 5, 2012.....well done Eddie Brampton 237 5,593 02-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  Thursday, Sept 29 / Friday, Sept 30, 2016 Beckster 2 643 09-29-2016, 03:55 PM
  Thursday, September 22, 2016 ~ Friday Eve Beckster 0 497 09-22-2016, 08:50 AM
  Thursday 09/15/16: Manbearpig Chip 1 554 09-16-2016, 09:27 AM
  Thursday, September 1, 2016 ~ Preschool Beckster 15 1,025 09-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Chip
  Thursday, August 25, 2016 ~ Yawns Beckster 1 460 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM
  Thursday, August 18, 2016 ~ 3 weeks Beckster 11 1,231 08-18-2016, 03:54 PM