Poll: DBN trip to NYC, what month?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1. March
0%
0 0%
2. April
0%
0 0%
3. May
20.00%
1 20.00%
4. June
60.00%
3 60.00%
5. July
0%
0 0%
6. August
20.00%
1 20.00%
7. September
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DBN trip to NYC
Nussie_T Wrote:
Pete Nice aka P-Woww Wrote:Seriously, I can set you all up with hotels for under $100 in Jersey, most likely.

T, there is no such thing as a $120 hotel in NYC. Even in Brooklyn, most are over that. The one I stay at in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn often is still $140 to $150.

Are we all going to try and stay in the same hotel?? If so, get a price... I'll have my panic attack at home and then I will man up and pay for it.

I would assume that we will not all stay in the same hotel. Some people are going to want to stay cheap, which means Jersey. There is NO WAY, I am staying in Jersey. If I was there for work, that would be fine, but I want to be in Manhattan for my vacation. I am probably going to use hotel points to stay for 2 or 3 of the nights and pay for the rest. Since we will have 3 people in our room, a $200 a night room will only be $66 a person approx. Maybe another 3 nights of that.

FYI, I am thinking now that I will come in on Tue the 8th and leave Sun the 13th. F the Yankees.

GET AAA!!!! They almost always have the best hotel rates. If you are a state of government worker, or military, you can save even more sometimes, but not always.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
beckster Wrote:Hey, I have gotten a hotel room in Traverse City for $47 a night... It was a Motel 6, so it was acceptable. I understand that area is going to run a lot more than around here.

I would not stay at a Motel 6 on the east coast if you held a gun to my head.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Reasons why june sucks:
the weekend you picked is Cubs/Sox @ Wrigley
Its June, I recall most of us voting for not june
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Derick The Solution Wrote:Reasons why june sucks:

So if none of you can do or wants to do June, what do you suggest?

Don't just point the negative, work with me here. Help find a solution, like Mike.

Pete Nice aka P-Woww Wrote:
Derick The Solution Wrote:Reasons why june sucks:

So if none of you can do or wants to do June, what do you suggest?

Don't just point the negative, work with me here. Help find a solution, like Mike.
i'm not working against you, but when we started this whole process, we all wanted to take a trip in april as I recall. Now were doing it in june, why? really why?
OK, let's open the poll back up again.

I voted June b/c it has the best weather.

Pete Nice aka P-Woww Wrote:OK, let's open the poll back up again.

I voted June b/c it has the best weather.
i wouldnt be opposed to may
You know, it might help folks out if we could figure out a price range of what this might cost. I know airfare would vary, but if we could figure out the cost of eating and hotels and such a bit better. I know my budget is a lot tighter than it used to be and I know have a guy to support... He didn't jump for joy when I talked to him about a trip to New York, either.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
For 3 days, 5 to 7 meals. You can easily do that for $100 to $150 a person if don't eat high end. Deli's and cafe's.

Cab's/Subway $20 a person.

Hotel for 2 nights could be from $150 to $400 depending on where you stay. I could probably find hotels for you in the $75 a night range in Jersey, but your gonna need buses and trains to get into the city.

Airfare could be anywhere from $150 to $500 depending on where you are coming from. You could go into Newark, JFK or Leguardia easy, so look into all three as an arrival destination.

Don;t forget alcohol costs. Figure $5 a beer and $7 a mixed drink. Of course you could buy bottles and sneak them in.

Figure $5 to $30 for admission into sights. You can find the admission costs for each on websites, so if you know what you want to see, look it up.

I'll try to put some figures down for you beckster:

Assume you're coming for 3 days, midweek.

Hotel - mid-range and mid-week - at least $100/night depending on how far away from Manhattan you stay. Baller places cost $200/night unless you can swing a deal on Priceline.

Food - depends on how baller you want to eat. Say you get something small for breakfast, have an average lunch, and a baller dinner - that's probably $50. That can easily go down to like $20 depending on how much you eat and the quality of food you have. I normally eat pizza or Subway at least one or two days, and I'l go baller on dinner and lunch one day each.

Transportation - The subway costs $2.25 per terminal entry according to my friend. When you put money on a metro card you get extra cash for free depending on how much you spend. It's basically 6 terminal entries for the price of 5. Over a 3 day period, I would expect to ride the subway about 12-15 times depending on where you go and how much you are willing to walk to places to avoid paying for the subway.

Entertainment - This also varies depending on what you want to do. I quickly looked at ticket prices for some Broadway shows. A mid-week showing will cost anywhere between $25 and $70 depending on where you want to sit. A decent (and I mean not in the outfield) ticket to a baseball game is going to be at least $50-$70. There are plenty of things to do in the city; I'm sure some of them don't cost as much.

Other - If you buy memorabilia, go shopping for clothes, etc., you're going to pay New York City prices.

Totals (low and ultra high end):

Hotel - $300 - $500
Food - $75 - $150
Transportation - $25 - $50
Entertainment - $100 - $200
Other - $50 - $200

Grand total (not including airfare) - $550 - $1100

I'd guess $700 for an average. Does this sound about right, Pete? Note that if you go on a weekend, almost all of these prices go up.

NYC is an expensive place, no doubt about it. The hotel is the killer. If you can pair up with someone to stay, that would really help knock the price down.

Hope that helps.
[Image: laylasig.jpg]

"My #1 Dudebro...Greg Mercer from Pittsburgh." - Covino
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mercerboy">http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mercerboy</a><!-- m --> - My LIVE web stream!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/mercerboy">http://www.mediafire.com/mercerboy</a><!-- m --> - C&R recordings
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.twitter.com/mercerboy">http://www.twitter.com/mercerboy</a><!-- m --> - Follow me. My tweets are semi-sweet like Nestlé.
Thanks Greg and Pete, now I need to convince knightryda that we should go and fund it.... Times like this make me wish I got my bonus earlier in the year, but I will see what I can do. His trial over his child support in February will ultimately be the deciding factor.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
I HATE PIE!!
The trip is after tax season, so lot's of people can use their tax refund to pay for the trip (if it's not already allocated)

I won't be able to come this time. Dildo will have to represent my hometown, unfortunately.

Flight from Kelowna to NYC = 700 bucks. with the wife, its 1,400.

Hotel in Manhattan, lets say 300 a night equals another thousand. Food, entertainment, shopping for the wife while I'm out drinking with the dudebros - let's say another 2,000 total.

This trip would cost me like 5,000. The only way I can come is if I leave the wife at home.
chelofellow Wrote:The trip is after tax season, so lot's of people can use their tax refund to pay for the trip (if it's not already allocated)

I won't be able to come this time. Dildo will have to represent my hometown, unfortunately.

Hotel in Manhattan, lets say 300 a night equals another thousand. Food, entertainment, shopping for the wife while I'm out drinking with the dudebros - let's say another 2,000 total.

This trip would cost me like 5,000. The only way I can come is if I leave the wife at home.
i dont see where the problem is. jk
Derick The Solution Wrote:
chelofellow Wrote:The trip is after tax season, so lot's of people can use their tax refund to pay for the trip (if it's not already allocated)

i dont see where the problem is. jk

The only way would be to flat out lie to her and say that I have to go to NYC for a work convention or meeting.

But, since I listen to C&R at work and post on the foum all day on company time, it's almost like the truth! At least that's how I would rationalize it in my mind.
I think if I left my guy at home to go, I'd back coming back to my shit in the yard.
I HATE PIE!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  thoughts on NYC trip eddieyourdj 17 4,549 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Last Post: LeNeve
  DBN trip to NY month and time of week poll Pete Nice 31 9,097 03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Joe