Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting the cord
Chip Wrote:I don't have cable.
When I did, I had the full package from U-Verse, with internet it was about $180.
And that was with every movie channel.
Now I only have internet, 6mpbs for $25, it'll go up to $43 I think after a year.

I have a Boxee Box.
With it I can stream all the DVDs I have stored on my computer (about 300 of them).
It has apps, like Netflix, HBO Go, Vudu (which is like PPV ondemand), NHL Gamecenter, and a ton of other stuff.
For online streaming, I won't go under 6mbps.
Shows like Game of Thrones and Dexter I can download minutes after they first air, and play it wirelessly through it.

I almost went with a Roku, it has the same apps, plus Hulu. But doesn't stream my DVDs, it's pretty limited in the file types it supports.

How does the NHL gamecenter work, is it like the old season pass where you pay $120 and get all the games?

If so, how is the quality?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Joe Wrote:So even though they took away On Demand the XBOX app for Xfinity still lets me watch shows on channels that I no longer have. :grin:

I have Verizon Fios, so my xbox has the verizon fios app, I checked it out and the quality was not very good, grainy pictures and stuff.

Plus, my xbox is in the basement and will stay there, I am trying to get rid of cables and wires, not add new ones. SO that option is out for me.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Chip Wrote:
Joe Wrote:Chip, I have a WD Live Hub with 1TB of storage and a bunch of online services like Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, Cinema Now and a ton more. Which service are you using to get Game of Thrones? I know I can get that stuff through torrents if I go through a proxy, but that's a pain in the ass sometimes.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

I have a friend who got me all set up with this, I'm not even sure how it all works.
It's Usenet Newsgroups. I have an account at Giganews which I can download 50gb a month for $13. And, I have a couple sites I go to, to get NZB files, which is pretty much just a link to what I want to download. Then I have a program called Newsleecher that opens the NZB file and downloads the movie or what ever.
It's worked pretty good, I've gotten a ton of music and movies. Hacked versions of Windows 7, that still work. Even AutoCAD which is about a $3,000 program.

I am really not sure what any of this means, but I have a feeling it is just about torrent downloading?

Another big factor in my not being able to get rid of cable yet:

My wife loves HGTV and watches it all the time.

If I could find a place that does a quality stream of their live programming, that would be awesome.

I REALLY want to drop cable, just am worried about losing the sports, the wife's HGTV and the fact that my wife does not know how to download anything and then transfer it to watching on tv, She can use the netflix on the blue ray player, that is about it.

Another thing. I could get network with the over air signal, but I don't want to hook up and antenna either.

Again, trying to get rid of wires, not add more or replace old ones.

Pete Nice Wrote:
When I did, I had the full package from U-Verse, with internet it was about $180.
Now I only have internet, 6mpbs for $25, it'll go up to $43 I think after a year.

I have a Boxee Box.
With it I can stream all the DVDs I have stored on my computer (about 300 of them).
It has apps, like Netflix, HBO Go, Vudu (which is like PPV ondemand), NHL Gamecenter, and a ton of other stuff.
Shows like Game of Thrones and Dexter I can download minutes after they first air, and play it wirelessly through it.

I almost went with a Roku, it has the same apps, plus Hulu. But doesn't stream my DVDs, it's pretty limited in the file types it supports.

How does the NHL gamecenter work, is it like the old season pass where you pay $120 and get all the games?

The quality depends on your internet connection.
I didn't get it this year, so I don't know if they've improved on it.
Ever watch a game on a 60hz LCD? Well, it kind of looked like it was 30hz.
But if you sign up for the online version, you can watch it online, on your phone, I can watch it on my Boxee.
Yes, you get all the games. And yes, they still black out local games, based on your billing address. So if you're out of town, you still wouldn't be able to watch the Pens.
Pete Nice Wrote:
Chip Wrote:
Joe Wrote:Chip, I have a WD Live Hub with 1TB of storage and a bunch of online services like Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, Cinema Now and a ton more. Which service are you using to get Game of Thrones? I know I can get that stuff through torrents if I go through a proxy, but that's a pain in the ass sometimes.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

I have a friend who got me all set up with this, I'm not even sure how it all works.
It's Usenet Newsgroups. I have an account at Giganews which I can download 50gb a month for $13. And, I have a couple sites I go to, to get NZB files, which is pretty much just a link to what I want to download. Then I have a program called Newsleecher that opens the NZB file and downloads the movie or what ever.
It's worked pretty good, I've gotten a ton of music and movies. Hacked versions of Windows 7, that still work. Even AutoCAD which is about a $3,000 program.

I am really not sure what any of this means, but I have a feeling it is just about torrent downloading?

I've never used torrents.
But I think it's about the same.
Downloading movies, music and software.
Pete Nice Wrote:Another thing. I could get network with the over air signal, but I don't want to hook up and antenna either.

you can get an HD antenna setup and from what I've read, recieve upwards of 70 channels of HD
Chip Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:

I have a Boxee Box.

The quality depends on your internet connection.
I didn't get it this year, so I don't know if they've improved on it.
Ever watch a game on a 60hz LCD? Well, it kind of looked like it was 30hz.
But if you sign up for the online version, you can watch it online, on your phone, I can watch it on my Boxee.
Yes, you get all the games. And yes, they still black out local games, based on your billing address. So if you're out of town, you still wouldn't be able to watch the Pens.

So out of town or in town I would not be able to watch the Pens?

Then why bother?

Brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Another thing. I could get network with the over air signal, but I don't want to hook up and antenna either.

you can get an HD antenna setup and from what I've read, recieve upwards of 70 channels of HD

If it is something that would just hook into the back of the TV and not require running out a window or wires or something, that would be great. I guess I have to look into it.

Pete Nice Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

If it is something that would just hook into the back of the TV and not require running out a window or wires or something, that would be great. I guess I have to look into it.
Nope. There is a large antenna and set top box/decoder for it

Its an investment up front, but you dont pay a monthly bill

Imported from Canada
TV Channel locator for HD antennas.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=29
sweet, I can get 3 channels, barely, with an antennae 200 feet in the air.
Crazy.

[Image: Radar-All.png]
Brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

Nope. There is a large antenna and set top box/decoder for it

Its an investment up front, but you dont pay a monthly bill

Imported from Canada

That is what I figured. Not for me then.